Monday 31 December 2012

My first month in Sydney

Hello Lovelies,

It's been exactly four weeks now that I left my little comfort zone - my old home - and sailed off to new shores. My new home is Sydney and I'd like to share a few things from the very start here in Australia.
My husband and I were extremely lucky to have good friends here, so we were allowed to stay with them from the day we landed. As much as I enjoyed the company, as an adult couple we were hoping to find our own little place as soon as possible.
Everyone told us it would be quite difficult to get approved for the desired appartment considering at this point both of us were unemployed.
Believe it or not, I think the apartment we looked at (it was the third one - third time lucky) is made for us, so it happened that we got approved for this place on our 12th day in Sydney! I still cannot grasp this beautiful view and I wish I could take photos with my eyes!

Day 16 - Moving in/Cleaning the apartment
top left: can't get enough of sunsets | bottom right: our new friends

While we ate on a cardboard box and slept on a matress, I was in the hot phase of getting a job. Having sent a good dozen of applications out I was hoping to find something as soon as possible (once again ASAP, my gosh patience is a virtue).
I had to remember my tattoo (which you can see *here*) everytime I picked up the phone to call a company to make sure they remember me. But I was lucky once more, on day 13 I had my first interview and on day 16 I had a Letter of Offer in my mail and now I'm proud to be able to say I work in the marketing department for a well known Australian company.

left: my new favourite coffee cup | right: first day at work

As if racing through all these obstacles wasn't enough, I must have done something right because the person in the sky decided I deserved more. My mother-in-law gave us plane tickets to the beautiful Sunshine Coast for Christmas. One week after my first week in my new position I thoroughly enjoyed myself in Queensland, visiting places I've been before (Maroochydore), doing things for the first time (fishing!) and all the things in between. Seeing my sister-in-law and her adorable children was also a highlight.

Fishing in Maroochydore

After Christmas we mainly put all our energy towards household shopping as we have to build our life from scratch. Tomorrow - day 31 in Sydney - we will finally have a table and chairs.

My favourite Australian flowers: top left: Hibiscus | bottom left and right: Frangipani

What I learnt so far:

1.: Never, really NEVER, leave the house without sunscreen!
2.: A little bit of COURAGE is all it takes to be greatly rewarded!


With Love,


Coffeebeanlilly


 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, schön, dass Ihr dort gut angekommen seid!!!! Viel Spaß und Erfolg in Eurer neuen Wahlheimat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I highly value constructive criticism, but am happy about any kind of feedback. I reserve the right to delete comments that are insulting, have racist or sexist connotation and anything alike.